ROOIBOS RED IS GOING TO BE HUGE IN 2024
In the coming months, we’ll be seeing a lot more of the colour Rooibos after Pantone LLC – the global authority on colour and provider of professional colour standards for the design industries – chose the Rooibos Pantone® among 2 390 colours as one of the top ten standout colours of 2024.
The announcement was made at this past New York Fashion Week (NYFW), attended by more than 230 000 editors, stylists, celebrities, and influencers from around the world.
Globally renowned colour specialist and executive director of the US-based Pantone Colour Institute, Leatrice Eiseman, referred to the Rooibos Pantone® as “restorative”.
“Just as people sometimes use food to revitalise themselves, the spring colour palette can be equally refreshing. The health benefits of herbal tisanes, for example, extend beyond personal wellness. They are restorative in every sense. They are refreshing to taste, but also refreshing to look at.”
The Rooibos Tea Pantone® 18-1355 is full-bodied, red imbued with rich, woody notes.
Marthane Swart, secretariat of the SA Rooibos Council (SARC) says the Rooibos industry is thrilled with the news.
“Fashion has always been the forerunner in setting colour trends. It was a big deal for us when the Rooibos Pantone® was first introduced, but to have it singled out as a signature colour for the next spring/summer season exceeded our expectations.
“Fashion is the dynamic and ever-changing expression of style that in many ways reflect the collective imagination and cultural identity of a society. It also serves as a powerful means of self-expression and creativity – influencing how individuals present themselves to the world, shaping perceptions and celebrating the diverse tapestry of human individuality. We hope that when people wear the warm and inviting amber colour of Rooibos, it will evoke confidence, along with emotions of warmth, comfort, optimism, energy and passion.
“It has been an exciting journey to witness the rise of Rooibos and its adoption across industries. Being named a top ten colour for 2024 is sure to put the Rooibos Pantone® on the map,” says Swart.
The Rooibos Pantone® will undoubtedly have an influence on several key sectors, including:
- Fashion: The fashion industry is likely to incorporate the colour into clothing, accessories and runway collections.
- Interior design: Interior designers and decorators could incorporate Rooibos red into home furnishings, paint colours, upholstery and decor choices.
- Graphic design: Graphic designers, marketers, and advertisers could use it in branding, packaging and advertising campaigns.
- Product design: Manufacturers and product designers may incorporate it into consumer products, such as electronics, appliances and home goods.
- Beauty and cosmetics: Cosmetic companies may release makeup collections featuring the colour Rooibos in nail polish, lipstick, eyeshadow and other beauty products.
- Textiles: The textile industry may produce fabrics and textiles in the colour.
- Floral and event design: Florists and event planners may incorporate it into floral arrangements, event decor, and wedding themes.
- Printing and packaging: Printers and packaging designers may use it in their packaging materials, labels and promotional materials.
- Art and design education: It can influence art and design education, as these provide a current and trendy colour for students to work with and learn from.
- Cultural and creative industries: The Rooibos colour can also have a broader cultural impact, influencing art, photography, animation and other creative expressions.
The Rooibos Pantone® is sure to serve as a useful reference and source of inspiration for many seeking to stay on-trend in their respective fields, and we’re excited to see the outcome.