Du Toit says internet searchers for detoxes usually spike in the first few weeks of the new year, but warns that there are no quick fixes to combat excessive overeating and drinking during the holidays.
“The average person consumes a whopping 6 000 to 7 000 calories during the festive season – that’s two to three times more than they normally would. To burn it off, you would have to run two marathons, which is equivalent to 84 km.
“If you consider that most of us are sedentary during this time, that amount of calories can quickly pack on a few extra kilos that may take months to shed.
“Many typically turn to drastic diets or major detoxes to get their bodies back on track, without success. Fasting, skipping meals and living off juices for a week are not the answer and will only leave you hungry and irritable.
“If you really want a long-term solution, you are far better off making a series of small, sensible and sustainable changes such as:
- Eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Cutting back on saturated fat, sugar and salt
- Limiting your alcohol intake
- Giving up smoking
- Exercising daily
- Getting enough sleep
- Switching coffee, soft drinks or fruit juice for water or healthy herbal teas, such as Rooibos.
“This way you are much more likely to stick to your new health regime, while reaping the rewards,” says du Toit.
Try this delicious antioxidant-packed Green Rooibos smoothie for breakfast:
GREEN ROOIBOS SMOOTHIE
Ingredients for 1 serving
1 small apple, cored
5 cm piece cucumber
1 stalk celery, including leaves
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, including stems
1 cup baby greens (your choice of spinach, chard, kale)
1/8 slice of lemon (including rind)
10 ml lemon juice
1 kiwi peeled
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 Tbsp chia or sunflower seeds (optional)
1 cup brewed Green Rooibos tea, chilled
6-8 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add ice cubes one at a time until fully crushed and mixed.
- Serve immediately.
- Add an extra peach or lemon flavoured Rooibos tea bag